QuillsEdge Press, expanding on our mission of bringing to the page more of the vital poetry of women over fifty, is pleased to announce a new and vibrant anthology of women’s voices in poetry. Each of the poets selected will see two or three of her poems included, so that her unique voice can be more deeply appreciated by others. This high-quality anthology will allow new and established voices to submit on a level field, where previous publications do not come into play. Your poetry will speak for itself.
1. Send up to six poems via Submittable, no more than six pages of poetry total. Send your best work and present to us your unique voice, your deep content, your commitment to craft. Feel free to address anything that moves you deeply in your poetry. There is no set theme.
2. Send unpublished work only. We define previous publication as inclusion in books, chapbooks, or magazines, posted on the internet, and self-published. Simultaneous submissions are fine, but poems accepted elsewhere must be withdrawn immediately via Submittable.
3. Poetry translated into English is welcome, so long as the original poet is also a woman over the age of 50. You may include translations of poetry by a maximum of three poets in one submission. Please include the original texts in your submission; this will not count towards your page total.
4. Poems in English may be submitted by poets who self-identify as women and are over the age of 50 regardless of country of residence. Members of underrepresented communities, including women of color, LBGTQ women, and differently-abled women are especially encouraged to submit your work.
5. Submit up to six poems as one document; each poem or translation should begin a new page of your document. Use Times New Roman font, 12 pt. size. Page limit is six pages total for poetry translations, twelve pages total for translation submissions.
6. The submission should be titled QEP_Anthology_2017_ABC (replace ABC with your initials). Do not include your name or any identifying information on the poems themselves.
7. In the section of Submittable designated for Notes, in place of a list of publications, please write up to 75 words on “Why Poetry,” or what drives your poetic expression. This is a personal note about the importance of poetry to you at this time in your life. This statement will precede your poems in the anthology. If your poetry is included, we will ask for a more traditional bio upon acceptance.
8. Submissions are considered final; poets may submit as many times as they like, but each submission will require an additional reading fee.
9. Payment will be rendered through Submittable. For special consideration of a fee waiver due to financial hardship, please email email@example.com.
10. Fees are as follows:
The reading fee is $10 for poets whose individual or family income is at least $25,000. If you wish to pre-order a copy of the anthology at a greatly reduced price with your submission, the total fee is $20. Please note that our ability to publish the incredible poetry of women over 50 relies upon your integrity in choosing this fee option.
The reading fee is $3 for poets whose individual or family income is less than $25,000, to cover Submittable charges. If you wish to pre-order a copy of the anthology with your submission, the total fee is $10. Please note that our ability to publish the incredible poetry of women over 50 relies upon your integrity in choosing this fee option.
11. The anthology reading period is March 22 to September 22. Poets will be notified of acceptance within 6 weeks of the reading period closure. Anticipated publication is December 2017.
12. Poets whose work is accepted will receive a contributor’s copy of the anthology as well as the ability to order additional copies at heavily discounted pricing. QuillsEdge Press will retain first North American publishing rights; rights revert back to author upon publication.
Please click here to go to the Submittable page for anthology submissions.
Thank you for sharing your work with us. We are honored to read your poetry!